Tuesday 31 July 2012

The One With One Month To Go

One month to go.

One month.

What a terrifying thought!

(What an exciting thought...)

One month.

After so many months of  thinking about it and stressing over the applying and then the waiting process to be accepted by Exeter; then Ottawa; then by Canadian officials, D-Day is imminent. The Toronto Road armchair where I first discovered I was eligible to go abroad seems like a lifetime ago. And, just as Exeter was the first university I viewed and wanted to go to, so it was with seeing Ottawa on that (quite rubbish) list. On thirdyearabroad.com there is quite an unhelpful 'Mole Diaries' entry for Ottawa from an Birmingham student who lamented the options available to her and seemed quite despondent about going to Ottawa U anyway. All I can say is, her options as a specific American/Canadian Studies student were probably a lot more exciting than some of the options afforded a generic humanities undergraduate.

So how did I finally settle totally on Ottawa U?

1) New Zealand's Otago is really far away.
2) All those Australia unis, who wants to go to Australia? There are ants in the toilet which will kill you! I don't want to be fearful for my life whenever nature calls. (Whoever said I'm melodramatic...was right!)
3) Southern Mississippi is far too close to hurricanes.
4) New Mexico is a desert.
5)Where the heck is Waterloo?
6) Ottawa. Capital city. Death whilst weeing would be a freak accident rather than due to native wildlife.

And it is these thought processes which go down on my CV as 'intuiative decisiveness.'

One month!


Please excuse me whilst I freak out.

Things still do to:

1) Book hotel for first night.
2) Pay whatever that compulsory health insurance thing that has come up on the Infoweb.
3) Bank account. Get one. A Canadian one.
4) Baggage and packing and all those kind of easily procrastinatable things.

Better get going then!

***

Hello to my audience, really not quite sure where most of you have come from, but hello to those of you in
-United Kingdom
-Russia
-USA
-Canada
-Latvia
-Indonesia
-Kazakhstan
-Cote d'Ivoire
-Spain
-France
-Germany
-Australia
-Ireland

Whilst I will never know who you are, nor ever know why my Kazakhstan readership is double that of my Canadian, you give me a warm, edifying feeling when I peruse my blog stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment