Sunday 2 December 2012

The One Where it's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Flag's first outing!
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Snow is falling, all around us. The weather outside is frightful. And other related Christmas cliches. And it is wonderful! Looming finals make it less wonderful, but Christmas-related procrastination makes the study part of study abroad that bit more bearable. First of all, I got my first two signatures on my third year abroad flag from Emily and Devon. It's super weird to think that I might not see them ever again! But, thanks to my flag, and Facebook, Emily's delight at my awkard chair situation in WINAC shall never be forgotten!

After attempting to do work in the library, I gave up and went to check out Byward Market and to see its festive transformation. What we really wanted to do was to bask amongst the Christmas trees, breathing in their delightfully wintery scent. However, it turns out the Christmas tree-sellers work on commission, so we didn't get much peace. We ended up having to hide from them amongst the bigger trees. Nothing angers a commission worker more than a browser.


Nothing, and I do mean nothing, screams Christmas like a horse-drawn wagon ride around Byward Market. I nearly lost my fingertips to frostbite, but it's ok because the ride was free. I don't mind losing my extremeties as long as I don't have to pay for the privilege. Byward Market sure is stunning. I nearly got eaten by the horse afterwards, but again, I don't mind being munched by a horse as long as I don't have to pay to be horsey fibre.

One of the many delights of Byward Market is the Cupcake Lounge. It's like Heaven. Unless if you're a diabetic, in which case it's Hell. I don't think I've ever seen so many cupcakes in one place - choosing just one was near-on impossible. But good old chocolate called to me. I think I shall spend much more time in the Cupcake Lounge!

We are awsome Canadian women.
That evening I went to Zak's because Zak's in wonderful. Christina, in her joyful wonderfulness, surprised me with a birthday sundae, complete with sparkler. Which was mildly terrifying because I thought I was going to get singed by aforementioned sparkler. But the gorgeous Christina and company would more than make up for sparkler accidents!

Ottawa is plagued by freezing rain, which means I have to walk very gingerly so as to avoid broken bones. I think my granny walks faster than I do in this weather. The only upside to today's vile rain was seeing Cooper outside of Mac's and sneaking in some soggy cuddles before Sam came out. I may be stealing her dog before she heads back to Toronto - he's just so gorgeous! He's even gorgeous when he's soaked and making me even more drenched than I already was. I'm just a sucker for cuteness!

Loving life. Joy joy joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment