Sunday 16 December 2012

The One With Goodbyes, Permanent and Temporary

Be the Pig.
I am one day away from finishing this semester, and whilst I am tremendously excited for a quintessentially English Christmas, it does mean that I have to say goodbye to people here in Canada, and some of them for probably forever.

Cereal snackers.
The first goodbye came courtesy of my Women in North American Christianity exam which was made hilariously fun by Emily and Christina who brought in their cereal snacks and happily chomped away at them for three hours. Combined with Prof Anderson being her usual gem-like self and drawing, (badly), pictures on the black board. Firstly, she wrote The Breakfast Poem complete with a little piggy. What is The Breakfast Poem I hear you cry? Well: 'The Chicken contributes, but the Pig gives his all. Be the Pig.' It's something vaguely motivational to spur us on to do our very best in our exam. Although can't help but feel it came a bit late in the game, ten minutes before an exam! Exams here are fundamentally chilled. Walk in whenever you want, choose whatever seat you want, leave whenever you want - it's a far cry from the frankly frightening exam regime Exeter forces you through twice yearly. But, at lunch afterwards, it was really sad having to say goodbye to Emily, because I might never see her again. But Facebook is a wonderful thing!

The second goodbye was to my favourite fellow exchange students, Lisanne, Yvet and Lihan, the Aussie who likes to have post-colonial banter and diss the Queen. (God save the Queen.) It's weird to think that they're not going to be here next semester - and that they'll be somewhere warm and sunny whilst I try not to get into an ice-induced coma.

Sam and Cooper.
Goodbye number three was to Julia at church, and that definitely is just a temporary goodbye because I'll see her next semester, and should God decide anything else, we'll most certainly hang out in eternity. That's despite whether she likes it or not, because I love her and love spending time with her. Just the thought of Julia puts a smile on my face. She also did some pretty epic praying in Jesus' name this morning - that girl is annointed!

And the last goodbye was probably the hardest. Sam, whose epithet from me is the favourite Canadian, is moving home at the end of this semester to finish off her degree at Trent University. Sam has been so amazingly wonderful and kind to me over the semester. From putting up with me breaking classroom etiquette and sitting next to her in class, to trying to steal her dog from outside Subway, to decorating her apartment in Happy Birthday banners, to Disney Scene It Two championships. She is the favourite Canadian and I feel blessed and over-joyed to have met her. Cooper wasn't a negative to the friendship, but Sam was the best thing ever.
Definitely not acting out The Lion King...

No comments:

Post a Comment