Thursday 2 May 2013

The One Where I Miss Winter

Today it was too hot. Today, as the temperature soared to thirty degrees and my sweat contributed to the already flooded Ottawa River, I wished for -30 to come back. And then I remembered just how very cold that was. And then I tried to decide which was better: frozen nose hair or a sweat turning a generous cleavage into a water slide? I still don't know the answer to that. There was a plan for this morning and that plan was to go on the amphibus, which is basically the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang of city tours, it's a bus AND a boat! However, as I was googling hours and prices, I chanced upon a coroner's report. Turns out four people died on the amphibus because of shoddy safety regulations and dodgy equipment. And I thought to myself, I like the Ottawa River, but not so much that I want to risk drowning in it. So, naturally, when death thwarts one's original morning plans, the back up is the Bytown Museum. Naturally.

 
The Bytown Musuem is adorable and cheap. It's good that it's cheap, because it's not got that mich going for it. It's really cute, and the statue of Colenel John By overlooks the Musuem and you can see his old house and it's all very sweet. And the building itself is the oldest in Ottawa, so it's about fifty years old. I'M KIDDING! I'm just being British and obnoxious and your "history" Canada. Anyway, turns out livestock just used to roam the streets of Bytown - insert derogatory comment about Carleton Univeristy students here. Did I mention it was cute? And cheap? And had mugs declaring love for Britain and Her Majesty.


Choosing sun stroke over laziness, I walked along the Ottawa River from the locks to the War Museum, passing Victoria Island along the way. It sure is beautiful down by the water, and the view up to Parliament Hill is stunning. And such a gorgeous day to take such a splendid stroll. Also, man yelled at me that I looked hot in my dress. I'm not sure if he meant it figuratively or literally. I'm going with the former.

I also tried to buy a postcard from an anxious shop assistant where I had the following conversation:

"So where are you from?"
"England, but I've been living in Ottawa for a year."
"Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to be rude and suggest you weren't from here, I just heard the accent."
"It's okay, I'm actually leaving soon, so I'm quite sad."
"Oh no, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to bring up something so raw for you."

Bless.

Oh Ottawa, I do love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment