Thursday 2 May 2013

The One Where My Professor Makes Up Words

I got this semester's grades back today: A+ A+ A+ A+ A+. Yeah, you're not the only one who's shocked.

My creative writing mark was a total surprise; I thought I was looking at a B+ to A- for my portfolio so I'm both astounded and delighted right now. Especially as my professor coined a new word in my feedback:

"Parts of the story are wickedly humourous in a way that I can identify as the “Barrian” voice. (A full scholarly article needs to be dedicated to the “Barrian” utterance as an expression of the
post-post-modernist British sensibility.)"
 
My professor also used the word 'banter' because he is that much of a hero. 
And it was really sad saying goodbye to him. I've been so fortunate to have him as a professor and he truly has been an inspiration and a mentor. And he has laden me down/up with books which has necessitated buying another suitcase. Three suitcases, two hands: challenge accepted. Universities need professors like him. What a total legend. Especially as he was a little bit sozzled thanks to the generous reception provided by the symposium...
 

And another quote from one of his many wonderful and hilarious emails:
 
"It has been a privilege having you in my courses. If I could have a class with 25 Hannah Barrs and such a class every year I would be teaching until I can no longer hobble up to the elevator."
 
Yes, this has indeed been a very ego-stroking post. But I can't hear you over my A+s so, y'know...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success rubber ducks for sale

    ReplyDelete