Sunday 11 November 2012

The One Where Your Stupidity Offends Me

I know what you're thinking, but no, this isn't going to be a post on my Religion and Culture class.

Do you remember way back when, when I went to an event styled as a comedy evening, but was actually a weird, short man giving terrible relationship advice and not having the awareness to understand when something is a joke question? Well, the uOttawa community life people service thing, ran another event billed as a comedy evening, and Gabby and I went to go check it out. First off though, Gabby and I went for dinner at the Royal Oak. It's like the Impy in Exeter but smaller and without toffee apple cider. Our food took nearly an hour to arrive, due in no small part, I imagine, to Gabby nearly killing the waiter with her ginormous bag.

Fortunately, the evening's event did turn out to be a comedy evening. There were two comedians: a warm-up guy called Danny who was Jewish and was consequently justified in making lots of Jewish jokes including this beautiful one where he compared Jews to antelope. The gist is that whenever you watch a nature documentary and it mentions an antelope, you know something bad is going to happen to the antelope. In the same way, whenever you read about the Jews in history, you know something bad is going to happen.


Our headliner was one Steve Hoffstetter, who is well worth checking out on good old YouTube. He started off my saying that it was a great time for him to visit Canada, because he figured that, if Mitt Romney had won the election, he could just hide in Canada until it was all over. I got to do my first ever heckle (and won) after Hoffstetter made a joke about the Queen and I replied. It was a moment of utter affirmation of my Britishness and I expect an MBE at least in the Queen's New Year Honours List. Anyway, at the end, he was selling t-shirts with various slogans on, including "your stupidity offends me" which Gabby and I both bought and then proceded to act stupidly whilst wearing them.  Because why act your age when you can behave like a small child?

Anyway, here's uOttawa trying to be funny about sexual health, but coming across as slightly predatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment