Tuesday 11 September 2012

The One On Religion And Culture In Canada

Sounds really similar to another of my courses, but is in fact really different; mainly because I like the prof for this one! Her name is Emma Anderson and she's on the wall of fame in the Arts building - I don't know why - but it makes her pretty special for sure! I feel a bit like her stalker in that I'm in two of her classes this semester, which both take place on the same days. So for Tuesdays and Fridays, I name them Emma Anderson-days. I am not a creepy student, I am not a creepy student...

Anyway, Religion and Culture in Canada. It's about religion. And culture. In Canada. (I seem obsessed with that country recently). I mean, the problem with the course being about religion and not Christianity, is that, to put it bluntly, I don't really care. Of course I do for the sake of community and respect; however, as an academic interest, I'm really not that fussed about Hinduism or Paganism etc. Furthermore, because Canadian students are seemingly indecisive and flit about classes in the first couple of weeks, there's a lot of housekeeping at the beginning of each lecture which slows the whole pace down.

So the course is basically a crash course in the religious groups of Canada and where and how they fit in, beginning with the primordial Aboriginal spiritualities all the way through to the contemporary "New Atheism." It'll be interesting to see just how much (or if it even does) overlap with the Multiculturalism course. Yeah...I don't really know what to say about this course yet!

ACTUALLY, I do! I'm thinking of doing my book report and research project looking at Christian-Aboriginal relations in the Colonial period. Or maybe the contemporary period. Ideally, I'd like to focus on Protestant-Aboriginal relations, but the prof's area of published expertise is in Catholic-Aboriginal relations, so we shall see!

It's nice to know I have been paying attention! Seriously though, the lectures are all either 1.5 hours long or 3 hours with with no breaks and it is torture! Think two hours of Introducing Paul but one millions times worse. (I hated that module, absolutely hated it!) Although this might be the course which deals with the Shakers, so I might explore that and leave Christian-Aboriginal relations for the next course...(Coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment