Monday 10 September 2012

The One With An Introduction To Aboriginal Societies And Cultures

One of my non-Religious Studies classes now: Introduction to Aboriginal Societies and Cultures.

I've had an interest in Native American/First Nations since as long as I can remember. The first time I remember discovering about this group of fascinating people was in my grandpa's bedroom, looking at the cross stitch sampler my mum had made him, with them both explaining to me the meanings behind each picture. One of the pictures was a teepee. The reason for its place on a sampler of my grandpa's life was because his father (my great-grandfather) moved to Canada as a missionary to a First Nations tribe and then his job took him to North Dakota in the USA where my great-grandmother was a nurse to a Sioux-Indian tribe and where my Grandpa was born on an Amerindian reserve.

This family history is exciting. And also very British that I have a colonialiser for a relative...I'm never ever revealing this in class; especially as my prof is an Amerindian himself and has endured much persecution. Boy do humans suck sometimes.
Core reading material.
Basically, I've always been intrigued by Amerindians and this was ignited further after my holiday to Calgary a couple of years ago, where I went to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and got to experience a simulation of being under the stars in a teepee - I love stars! And I love that idea of really connecting with nature. So I really jumped at the chance to sneak in a Native Studies module into my year abroad class schedule!

It's a really interesting class, however, the prof is nearly impossible to hear as he has such a deep voice and no real projection; plus the tone is really soothing so I do need a caffeine injection before and after! He's got a great, dry sense of humour though, so his classes are never dull. And today he brought in some sweet grass, set light to it, then passed it round the class for us to smell! He is what Tim Gorringe would be like sans Exeter's health and safety rules! And, y'know, I've lived in halls so I, y'know, know some of those smells...yeah...Life's not dull inside the campus classrooms in Sandy Hill!

I have to say, Ottawa is pretty old school in its use of chalk and blackboards - seriously! Although I do feel at times like I've stepped into the classroom scenes of The History Boys when the chalk comes out!

Back to Intro to Ab Soc and Cul - from a theological perspective, there is a lot to be gained when looking at the Christian doctrine of creation from the circular thinking of the Amerindians where there is a reverence towards Mother Earth. What both traditions share is this idea of stewardship and that human existence is the result of some other "will" - ie either God or the universe. It's certainly uncomfortable at times to examine the history and beliefs of these Aboriginal societies from a theological perspective and it almost feels like any attempt to establish links between the two ways of thinking is another hammer of desecration to the Amerindians.

At what point do we say conversion is wrong? From a Christian theological perspective, can we ever say that it is wrong? Is the inate sense of stewardship exemplified by the Amerindians an indicator of a divine communication Christians call Yahweh? I'm just throwing out these rhetorical questions; I don't know the answers, that's for sure! I'm experiencing some kind of inner theological turmoil whereby the Great Commission fights Love Thy Neighbour.

We've been split into one of the eight clans of the prof's tribe, the Wendat or Huron, and I'm part of the Turtle Clan. The Turtle is said to have carried the world on a her back, an idea which resonated with me. (Does that sound arrogant?) It just reminded me of the woman at Soul Survivor this year who said I had broad shoulders and that God had designed me to carry and support and comfort others. I just heard the broad shoulders comment...So now I'm a turtle. Could be worse, I could be a loon! Other clans are bear, fox, hawk, wolf, beaver and another I can't remember!

I think this class is one of the most interesting, but probably ones of the most challenging from both a personal and theological perspective. How does the descendent of a coloniser who is convicted of the Great Commission react in the face of a culture enduring probably an extended fight against legislateed genocide against them?

No comments:

Post a Comment