Thursday 20 September 2012

The One Where I Experience Winter - And It's SO Cold

Lots of little things seem to happen each day; each individual thing is undeserving of a blog post dedicated to it, so before I get to the story behind today's title, here's a little run-down of the past few days!

Nice things about my week:
  • Sneezing on my walk to church and a man shouting 'bless you!' out of a white van.
  • Church.
  • Lunch with Julia and Abigail, that was actually the breakfast menu of Father and Son's, where everything came with fries. Oh North America!
  • Hanging with Julia! (Told you I'd write about you!)
  • A relaxed study group and drink with Samantha and Lydia.
  • Church on Campus.
  • Having Kelsey as a friend in Intro to Ab Soc.
  • Completing my first bit of hand in work for Canada.
  • The glorious sunshine and a temperature not too cool and not too hot. A Brit blogging about weather; unusual...
  • Mac's getting butter tarts back in stock. (Oh Krista, why why why did you introduce me to these delectable treats?)
  • The Anglican church opposite my house plays 'Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer' on its bells on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings.
  • A really nice cashier in the bookstore who loved my accent.
  • Moving Jewish Lit. to the Study Lounge.
  • Blog compliments from Caitlin Moran. Yes, the actual, amazing Caitlin Moran. And also from Kelsey and Julia - shout out guys, I know you're reading! Google stats tell me so!
Less nice things about my week:
  • Religion and Multiculturalism in Canada. I don't care about the ethnic demographics of Edmonton! Woop-de-doo that Sikhs live near airports.
  • Not being able to find any books in the library, nor a help desk. Consequently, I don't know how to use the library. Exeter includes this in its induction days, would be great if Ottawa could too!
  • The realisation of just how much work I have to do this semester...
  1. Multiple, lengthy readings each week for each of my five classes.
  2. Two learning log pieces for Exeter.
  3. Two paper proposals.
  4. One research prospectus.
  5. One presentation
  6. Five papers.
  7. Three tests.
  8. Four exams.
  9. Three midterms.
  10. One analytic assignment.
  11. Two book reviews.
That's a lot! I mean, seriously, that's a lot. Furthermore, they ask for 'X number of pages' and I'm sat there thinking, 'it would be much more useful if you specified words.' Moreover, the whole pages concept basically makes limits on content a fluid concept and encourages laziness in writing. Writing to word limits is a skill, Canada!

Thus far, I've done my paper proposal for Women in North American Christianity. I'm looking at Kateri Tekakwitha, who's name I've written so many times now, my phone is predicting it! Hoping prof likes it! I need to be careful I don't go too heavy on what I deem Catholic propaganda and try not to put my own projections onto what I think First Nations should be thinking and feeling. Hannah, stop being so colonial!

But Hannah, you said you've experienced winter, tell me more!

Wednesday evening, it was my utter joy and privellage to go Chez Kreuzer and sleepover with Joanna and her most adorable dog, Keesha. Now, I'm not a huge fan of dogs, bar Jumble Lawfull; but Keesha Kreuzer is by far and away my favourite dog in the whole, entire world. She's so placid and soft and cuddly and she spent the night turning between me and Joanna for cuddles - and it was gorgeous! Oh, I love her!

Today, Joanna and her mom took me winter shopping, after having supplied me with scarf, gloves, slippers and blankets (thank you thank you thank you!) I got to experience the overwhelming sensation that is Walmart again and I just don't think I will ever feel comfortable in that kind of store. Plus, there's a kind of Asda feel about the place which is unnerving... But the total success was the purchase of one winter coat and one rubber ducky! I'm probably more excited about the latter, but the former will hopefully save my finger and toes from a frostbitten death. The coat is unlike anything I've ever had before, in that it's super warm and I kind of, emphasis on kind of, want it to get cold enough so I can wear it. Kind of.



As the three of us went off in search of winter boots (to no avail) we went into a store which had a winter simulator, where you can stand in this freezer contraption and test the clothes in the store against the Canadian winter. Grabbing the nearest Bianca Jackson-style puffa jacket, I tried out -20 and it is so cold! I got brain freeze just after a couple of seconds. Brave, hardy Joanna tried out -30 - but not for long! It was so so cold! So cold! So so so so so so cold!

Anyway, I have a coat. But more crucially, and joyously, I have such great friends in Joanna and her family. I feel so unbelievably blessed by their generosity. And, d'you know what? I'm happy.

Yep, I'm happy.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Kateri Tekakwitha that New Zealand opera singer that we made a dame?
    But I find it interesting what you're learning about Sikhs and airports. It seems to be the same in the UK... certainly around Heathrow, Birmingham and Gatwick. I always assumed that it was just because they had jobs as ground staff (baggage handlers, etc). Is there a spiritual reason within Sikhism for locating near the airport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to prof, they just get out of the airport, see houses and settle there.

    ReplyDelete