Friday 19 October 2012

The One Where I Grab My Midterms By The Bollocks...

...and shake them.

Ready for a comprehensive catch up of the last week and a half? Good - let's go!

Me, Kelsey and Yvet play snap with uOttawa water bottles.
Today's title comes courtesy of one Prof. Anderson, religion-whiz and all-round hero; she's like an un-Hollywood Tina Fey. Anyway, she closes our midterm review class which the line, 'Go grab your midterms by the bollocks and shake them!' At the time, it was really rather inspirational advice, but now I'm not so sure the metaphor works. Plus, bit sexist, my midterms might have ovaries. Seriously, she teaches a class about women in Christianity and she uses a metaphor which pertains to patriarchy - tut tut! She also sang the chorus of 'Call Me Maybe' which is another reason why I think she is a general legend.

So midterms; midterms midterms midterms. And an analytical assignment. I officially put the stud in study abroad.



Jewish Canadian Writers - went well, very well, like, top-of-the-class well and the ginger girl now hates me really rather a lot. Other highlights from this class include Samantha being hilarious, prof telling  ginger she didn't know what she was talking about, and him emailing me inspirational quotes about fear by rabbis. Lowlight: class on a Sunday. You read right, class got rescheduled to a Sunday afternoon.

Intro to Ab Soc - already mentioned, no mark back yet. But honestly, if I haven't done well, I will need an urgent head examination.

Religion and Culture - my penultimate midterm! Sat next to a guy with a disproportionately large elbow which was not conducive to a calm attitude for an exam. Wrote about Yahweh so it's all good. (I heart Yahweh).



Women in North American Christianity - final midterm! Squeaky chair wasn't abiding by the silence regulations which earnt me some dirty looks from the prof and the TA and some giggles from Emily and Christina. I also used the line,'good luck to the government which tries to make not having sex illegal.' I could have phrased that in so many ways, but I'm not ashamed.




The other one - I despise it so much, I can't even bring myself to name it. Like Voldemort and period pain. I had an assignment and I tried and failed to not write it with a colonial attitude. Furthermore, prof has taken to calling me Miss Britain - good; but when asked what my name was then replied, 'Hannah? Well that's easy to remember because it's common.' Erm, excuse me? As God's representative in Canada (true story), that's a bit rude!

Now I'm sure you're all enthralled by my academic escapades of the past week or so, but in case you're interested in other things in my year abroad life:

Primark is apparently really special, according to a Canadian who spent the summer in the UK.

It is ok to smoke weed in broad daylight in public; I'm not sure it's legally ok, but people are brazen enough to do it.

The Week Five Blues haven't come, but I did have a Day 44 Blues when it was raining, I was tired and the waitress in Father and Son's judged me for ordering Diet Pepsi with my breakfast.


I tried poutine for the first time.
I tried out Canadian health care. Bloody hell, prescriptions are expensive.

Ottawa weather is schizophrenic; it's hot it's wet it's freezing it's cloudy - dressing is difficult.

And then God said, let there be SNOW! (And let is snow for about two hours and not settle but get half the population really excited and the other half terrified and barricading themselelves into their basements.)

Spontaneous dinner trips to Zak's with Gabby. They're good. They should happen more.

Joyful time with Christina, studying and then celebrating midterms' end with a makeover - that girl is gifted! I love her, her friendship and her heart for God. Watch out world, 'cause God's gonna use her to do some damage to the old Devil.

I hereby declare reading week OPEN.

P.S. Massive amount of chocolate arrived courtesy of one D-Sizzle. Love her!


2 comments:

  1. In fairness, a society in which grabbing and shaking cojones is considered uplifting does not sound like a society in which males have the upper hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right! We'll have to see how successful my grabbing and shaking was when I get my marks back!

      Delete