Thursday 10 January 2013

The One With The Bible And Film

New semester means new classes! And, because this year does somehow, supposedly count towards my final degree, I do actually have to some work, occasionally. So first new class is The Bible and Film. Sounds exciting. This is where I have to confess that I don't really like movies. I have quite a short attention span and have been programmed by social networking sites to operate like Twitter: grab me in 140 characters or less otherwise, I won't pay attention. If I get a degree, it will be a miracle. Actually, I'm selling myself short here. I do have quite a long attention span and I do like films, but I only really like a certain type of film. So, as the prof started asking us all who'd seen this and that film, I tried to shrink in my seat. Apparently no-one else is taking the class for the Bible stuff. I just think the Bible trumps Shawshank Redemption.



Don't tell Christina I like this.
 

Also, I know there are movies that are of their time, but the biblical or Ancient Greek epics such as The Ten Commandments or that Jason golden fleece thing, really distress me, for wont of a better word. There's just something about the colour and staging and filming that really unsettles me. Like norovirus, only more violent.

Why am I taking this class?

Especially as it's running until 10pm on a Monday evening and requires watching a film a week and doing actual tangible work - I never signed up for that in my degree! (Kidding, obviously; very geeky and conscientious am I). Fortunately, there's Christina to give me chocolate each class and a new friend in Rebecca and who know, I may become a film buff yet. (Probably not).

4 comments:

  1. Don´t worry. I feared something similar in the Spanish department - and these films were in another LANGUAGE - but films can be watched a double speed with subtitles, and film essays are THE easiest essays to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right - I think I exhausted all my bravery on last semester!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. True, but the Cadbury's out here is vile - I can only stomach mars bars out here. #studyabroadproblems

      Delete