Thursday 10 January 2013

The One Where I'm Back In Canada

I'm back! Did you miss me? Of course you missed me. And, of course, you missed my third year abroad blog. So what has happened since I was last here in this humble corner of Tim Berners-Lee's brain child? Well...


Airport pride.
I saw Yvet for the last time, perhaps ever; although I may just rock up in Amsterdam and surprise her. We got to take the Intro to Ab Soc exam early and had the most surreal moment where we were in our own tiny room with no supervision. What would you do in that situation? We kept our integrity... After finishing the exam, I told Prof Sioui that I loved him and it wasn't awkward in way, shape or form. I just like telling academic authority figures how much I love them it seems. Should really get some kind of brain to mouth filter.

A plane ride back to England happened. There were turbulents. There was also a complete inability to sleep. Furthermore, upon touching down on British soil, any attempts at returning as some obnixous pseudo-Canadian went out of the window and my frustratingly Home Counties accent made an unwelcome reappearance. But anyway, England was England, Didcot was Didcot and now I am back to living the dream here in Canada. Sorry Didcot, but you do warrant your place at number 20 on the list of 50 Crap Towns UK.

Stunner.
Flying back to Canadia, my plane was in the hands of Bruce Nolan. I laughed out loud at this and no-one else found it in anyway amusing. Bruce Nolan. Bruce Nolan. Anyone? Nevermind. For some reason, Air Canada classifies 'Billy Elliot' as a childrens' film, because nothing screams family friendly like an eleven year old asking another eleven year old if he wants to see her fanny. Now, I'm not the best at flying. Surprisingly, being trapped in a metal tube hundreds of thousands of feet in the air in a contraption which could get hijacked, doesn't really put me in a peaceful frame of mind. But as we were landing at Ottawa, I was gripping the arm rests like my life depended on it, and this man was just laughing at me and said I was pulling a face like I was watching a horror film. Sorry, what kind of facial expressions should I be displaying when hurtling towards concrete?

Immigration isn't scary in Canada. For one, they don't appear to have guns and secondly, they're cuddly Canadians. Bag drop took an age thanks to plane doors freezing shut - what a gloriously cliched return to Canada!

Massive fear.
Ottawa is currently covered in more snow than I have seen in my entire life! It gets piled up to the edge of sidewalks, and some of it is actually taller than I am, leading to terrifying visions of being trapped in snow like a packet of Birds Eye fish fingers in my grandparents' freezer. But it is so good and joyful to be home. Because that is what Canada is. 

Since being back I've gone to another home which is All Nations; brunch with Julia, Keegan (best name ever, may have ear-marked it for future procreating use), Dan and Matt; seen Les Mis twice; been reunited with the wonderful Christina and been to Zak's - twice.

To sum up: joy. All encompassing wonderful overwhelming ridiculous joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment