Thursday 10 January 2013

The One With The History of Religion in Canada

There is a possibility that I may be stalking a University of Ottawa professor. That's an exaggeration, but I am in a third class with Emma Anderson after my two with her last semester. To be fair, I didn't realise this until towards the end of the Fall Semester, but if the poor thing is sick of me then, well, she's stuck with my until the end of April. In all seriousness though, she is fantastic. She has all those qualities that you could possibly want in a professor: she's engaging and a tremendous teacher; she's dedicated to and dilligent in her research and there's an evident passion for her academic interests. Although, whilst I have caught from her the contagion of academic delight that is Roman Catholic colonial encounters, I don't think I have the balls to choose her book for the book review assignment. What exactly can some theology undergraduate have to say against a book from a Havard-educated professor?
Stationary at the ready.
The class is The History of Religion in Canada. I won't spoil it for you, but it goes something along the lines of "I have lived here for gazillions of years and I do ancestor worship and stuff, oh, who are these people? Let's be hospitable." "You are savages, we're going to kill you until you start following a celibate fool in Rome." That's quite a bad summary, and doesn't disguise my, er, healthy dislike of Roman Catholicism.

As for new year resolutions, I will will will do the reading for this class. (Even though not doing the reading didn't have any adverse effects last semester). I resolve to be a good student. Why waste the phenomenal teaching I'm receiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment