Tuesday 16 April 2013

The One About Boston

I don't know whether I should be writing about this, especially in a week when I've criticised Justin Bieber for bringing a calamitous event back to himself, but I've been so moved by the scenes from Boston that I just had to write something.
Less than two months ago, I discovered why Trip Advisor says not to visit Boston in February: it's like Antarctica. And this coming from someone from Ottawa! But Boston when I was there was Snowstorm Nemo time - it was freezing, it was icy and the skyline wasn't at its greatest against grey snow-filled clouds.

Yesterday, the streets where I walked were attacked. Three people have lost their lives, countless others have been injured. Once again, a senseless waste of lives on planet earth. But, once again, humanity prevailed.

I don't believe in the Calvinist notion of utter depravity. I believe we are made in the image of God. That image is what makes love prevail when evil rears its nasty head. I believe that evil is a choice, love is inherently within our genetic make up.

So, to see the scenes in Boston where people ran towards the blasts and ripped their own shirts off to make tourniquets, where people opened up their homes and sent up their prayers, where people and acknowledged their fear but believed in their strength - those are the scenes to remember Boston by. Be so proud of yourselves, Bostonians. The world is inspired by your bravery, your community, your integrity and your love.

'There may be pain in the night, but joy comes with the morning.' Psalm 30:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment