Tuesday 9 April 2013

The One With My Final uOttawa Lecture

It was a day that seemed such a long way off; I have had my final University of Ottawa lecture. And to say I'm gutted is an understatement. Fortunately, my final lecture was a good'un! More on that later...

Bible and Film ended so long ago, I can't remember what happened. However, the prof did tell me in an email that I was a pleasure to teach and that she's going to send me a copy of her book, much to the astonishment and envy of Christina and Rebekah. Leonard Cohen ended with, um, Leonard Cohen in both email form and Russian translator/impersonator/super-fan tribute concert form; while History of the Jews in Canada ended with a round of applause - something I still don't understand from these Canadians. 

The final creative writing class was billed as a vegetarian potluck and I nearly killed Leah by forcing
Larisa the Brave.
her to eat marmite - she wasn't a fan. And, as it turns out, has too many taste buds to deal with the whole bitter yeast extract thing. But I did win Simone over to the marmite cause. (Hey, Simone, I know you're reading!) Bradley also played the greatest trick ever on Prof Mayne by leaving a copy of his own poetry open in the bathroom for Mayne to find, and we tried to guess Mayne's pseudonym and continued to wind him up about story cycles, one act plays and whether totally obvious things are in fact allegorical. It's been a privilege to write alongside some outstanding people this semester and to be critiqued and encouraged by some people who I am totally in awe of and overwhelmed by their talent. One of those moments I shall really treasure from this whole year abroad experience. 

Then my final lecture, History of Religion in Canada with the one and only Anderson. She had the class applaud those of us for whom it was our final ever uOttawa lecture. During the class, don't ask me how we got onto this subject, but we got onto Canadian stereotypes. Prof then said, "Hannah, you know the whole polar bear-riding cowboy thing is a myth right?" I replied, "Nope, that's how I see ya!" Then I lamented having not seen a beaver and Anderson promised to rectify that by showing me a good Canadian time. What a gem! 

ReSSA had our last meeting. It took place in the pub. One prof turned up and it was extremely uncomfortable to say the least. But we did get some great insults hurled at Christina and Larisa was valiant in her salt shot-taking. Did someone say best uOttawa exec ever? 

Also, did someone say best year abroad ever? Oh yeah, I did.
We are the best.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment