Tuesday 23 April 2013

The One With Theological Questions

Here's the thing: sometimes I don't think evangelism is the best move.

The Great Commission, yeah, but at what cost?

Disclaimer: my musings may stray into the heretical, but Jesus loves me so, y'know, if you love Jesus then you should also love me. Especially as Jesus and I share a hairstyle, just sayin'...

I'm from Oxfordshire and go to university in Exeter, my existence has been exposed to as much diversity as a meeting of the English Defence League. I'm not going to get all pretentious-Emma Thompson about this and condemn this, it's just one of those things from the areas of the UK where I've spent the most time: they're basically white and Christianised. This isn't the case in Ottawa, and particularly not at the University of Ottawa. Here it's a perfect example of that 1960s Multiculturalism Act and Mosaic-thing Canada's got going on. Different creeds, colours, cultures - it's all very exciting to be around. Not in a weird way, but just in a meeting new people is really super fun way.

Anyway, last semester I took a class called Introduction to Aboriginal Societies and Cultures, which was humbling and heart-breaking in equal measures. It was taught by a Wendat First Nations, a group history calls the Hurons, because history isn't on the side of the losers. My professor had grown up on a poverty-stricken reservation and saw his family member's descent into devastating alcohol abuse. In his book, he recounts being taught history at school, by a white woman, who taught my professor, a child, that he was from a savage people, that the people who put his ancestors of reservations were doing it to humanise them. Disgusting, eh?

And as past readers will know, this year I've studied in detail about Colonial interactions with First Nations, in particular, I've looked at Catherine Tekakwitha. Catherine, sometimes known as Kateri, was canonised last October, which is funny, because she ain't that Catholic if you actually look into it. Anyway...the thing that has been weighing heavily on my mind is, should Christians really be evangelising to First Nations?

Don't get me wrong, because of the whole colonialism thing, there are a lot of First Nations Christians; when I was at Akwesasne the church was a prominent fixture and our guide informed us it was well-attended each Sunday. But what I'm thinking is, should christianity recognise its role in the decimation of a culture and keep the theology away from its mission with that culture? I'm not saying that Christians shouldn't not be concerned with First Nations. In fact, as we're called to love the last, the least and the lost, for Canadian Christians those people are right down the road. What I'm saying is, should we keep Jesus in our hearts when helping out First Nations?

'Cause really, how does the evangelism conversation go?

"Hey, so I know it was Christians who stole your land and wiped you out with European diseases and called you savages. And I know it was Christians who forced you onto reservations and introduced you to alcohol. And I know it was Christians who took your children away from their families and banned them from speaking their languages and raped them and covered up their deaths from TB by burying them in mass graves. BUT, we're Christians and we think Jesus can help you. Oh and by the way, alcoholism, drug abuse and gambling is your fault and it's a sin so stop it.

Yep, because Jesus was a lot of help to the First Nations. Did any of those residential school priests read the gospels?

I want to take away your pain, I don't want to steal your culture.

My great-grandad was a missionary to the Cree of Alberta and the Lakota of North Dakota. I'm reliably informed that he was a babe about it. He didn't go out to convert, he went out to heal. And I think that is where Christians sometimes mess up.

Jesus had the knack of evangelism. He left the Christian jargon at home, along with the obnoxious gospel tracts, and went and saved people. Woman at the well: here's water, but the husband thing? Not that great. Woman being stoned: bugger off (I'm paraphrasing) you stone throwers, but babe, don't sin anymore. Dude on mat: I know what you really need healing from.

You see? I firmly believe evangelism starts with the person. Don't set out to convert, set out to see someone's heart the way God sees it. We all need saving and Jesus is the only one who can do it but if we turn mission into a military operation then we lose sight of what we're doing and who we're doing it for.

Look for who you can help rather than how many you can help. That's where the Kingdom began. It began with Jesus choosing just 12 to heal and who then used 11 (sorry Judas) to choose their 12 who chose their 12 and so on and so forth.


A nation isn't saved if one heart isn't healed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment